My Favorites:

Minnesota Vikings Texas A&M Aggies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NCAA Football Top 5 coaches currently?

Who are your top 5 coaches currently in college football?

Mine:
    1. Nick Saban - no doubt
    2. Urban Meyer - no doubt
    3. Dabo Swinney - probably has earned this spot after 2 straight NC appearances
    4. Jim Harbaugh - he's turned around Stanford and Michigan
    5. David Shaw - kind of biased cause I love Stanford but I think he's done a great job making the Cardinal into a perennial contender after Harbaugh left.

That feels like a pretty easy list to come up with (at least for the first 4) - am I missing anyone?

^ Behold the face of the GOAT! ^
    VikesRule | TST Owner

My Favorites:

Houston Astros Alabama Crimson Tide Everton Houston Rockets Houston Texans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd throw Dan Mullen in ahead of David Shaw. What he has been able to accomplish at Miss. St. is pretty impressive. They may not be a national powerhouse, but they are light years ahead of the doormat they used to be. He seems to be somewhat of a QB guru.
    The key to a good life is simple. Be a better person today than you were yesterday.

My Favorites:

Minnesota Vikings New York Yankees New Jersey Devils Brooklyn Nets Alabama Crimson Tide Cincinnati Reds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting argument for college football as "coach" is a pretty relative term. What I mean in your top 5 in terms of X's and O's may be different than a top 5 in recruiting. I would look at this from an overall program stance and have to set a boundary in how far back I'm willing to credit in such an argument. For example, Harbaugh is extremely overrated as a coach and hasn't been in one place long enough. I would also give guys like PJ Fleck and Chris Peterson serious consideration. How about James Franklin? Vanderbilt was relevant under Franklin and now he's got Penn State knocking on the CFP door.

My Favorites:

Minnesota Vikings Texas A&M Aggies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ae View Post
    This is an interesting argument for college football as "coach" is a pretty relative term. What I mean in your top 5 in terms of X's and O's may be different than a top 5 in recruiting. I would look at this from an overall program stance and have to set a boundary in how far back I'm willing to credit in such an argument. For example, Harbaugh is extremely overrated as a coach and hasn't been in one place long enough. I would also give guys like PJ Fleck and Chris Peterson serious consideration. How about James Franklin? Vanderbilt was relevant under Franklin and now he's got Penn State knocking on the CFP door.
    That's a really good point. I guess I didn't even think about how nuanced being a college coach really is compared to the NFL. I suppose my definition would be leading a successful program or multiple programs through several good years. That definitely encompasses recruiting, but I still also include the Xs and Os part and actually winning games.

I actually really like your suggestions of Franklin, Fleck, and Peterson. Any of those 3 could be my #5 guy instead of Shaw. I think I'd give the nod to Peterson since he's brought a G5 team to prominence while Franklin was at Vandy before PSU, so he had access to SEC recruits. Fleck hasn't done enough yet IMO but we'll see how he does with the Gophers.
    Last edited by VikesRule; 6 Days Ago at 08:43 PM.

^ Behold the face of the GOAT! ^
    VikesRule | TST Owner

Thread Information